Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Minnesota Sports Holiday Show Part 12: Neal Broten

Last, but not least, is really the player I went to the Holiday Show to meet. Stanley Cup winner, NCAA National Champion, and Gold Medal winner Neal Broten was set to be signing autographs, and I was as happy as a Minnesota hockey fan could be.

My big dream, was to get an autograph to represent each of his hockey career highlights, as he is just one of two players in history to win an NCAA National Championship (1979, University of Minnesota), Olympic Gold Medal (1980, Team USA), and a Stanley Cup (1995, New Jersey Devils). What I was looking for was pucks of a similar design from each of those teams, but unfortunately, that proved to be an impossible task. Still, I was able to get my hands on a few items to get signed, including this Minnesota North Stars puck.


This 1995 Stanley Cup Champions puck is one that I already had in my collection. Seeing as how I'll probably never come in contact with anyone else from that team, I figured now would be a great time to get it signed.


I also wanted to pick up a photograph of his, as well. This one not only featured the bright green of the North Stars' away uniforms, but is an action shot with plenty of white space, to really make the signature stand out.


I also got the chance to have an up close look at his gold medal from 1980. It doesn't contain as much of the intricacies and flair of medals issued in more modern Olympic Games, but considering how important this one is in the world of sports, it is certainly a sight to behold.


I also wanted to be sure to get my picture taken with Broten. He was great with all of the fans there, and as friendly as could be. It was certainly a great experience overall, and I look forward to the next one.


Actually, I do have one more Broten item to show off, but that one deserves it's own post...

No comments:

Post a Comment