Monday, November 17, 2014

Clyde Drexler Autographed Basketball

A couple years ago, when my wife & I were living in the Houston-area, a brand new Circuit City was opening up, and they brought in Basketball Hall-of-Famer and Houston basketball legend Clyde Drexler to sign autographs and help promote the store's grand opening. Now, I had no idea of this, but luckily my wife heard an advertisement on the radio, and knowing how much of a collector I am, informed me of this great opportunity. So, we went to our local Academy sporting goods store and picked up two basketballs: one for me, and one for her brother, who played basketball throughout high school.

We got there in time for the signing, but there was already a pretty long line formed. We came too late for the gift cards they were giving out to the first 100 people, but we did get a Circuit City umbrella as a giveaway. Anyway, we wait through the line, which moved pretty quickly, and got to the front, and weer hit with a bit of a surprise. Apparently, Drexler was doing this as a fundraiser for a charity he was involved with, and was charging $25 a piece for the signature, which included a white-paneled basketball for him to sign. Unfortunately, we didn't bring any cash or our checkbook with, so we were pretty stuck. Luckily for us, though, he was willing to sign our basketballs, allowing us to walk away happy.


I don't have a whole lot of basketball signatures, but the ones I do have are pretty spectacular. This is certain to be one I will proudly display for quite a long time. Now I just need to get it a decent display case and take it out of that cardboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment